Thursday, September 4, 2008

2008-08-23 GUNKS Climbing - Good Times with Great Friends!

Last weekend was very busy for Dann and I but we managed to pull off a trip to the Shawangunk Mountains in New Paltz, NY on Saturday the 23rd. Aimee Tetreault (a.k.a. the Revenator) hauled her sleepy self up to the C-Ville where we indulged in some home cooked breakfast burritos made by yours truly. ( I got a little help from the local chickens for the eggs and local pigs...don't need to explain that one, Mom Vennard for the bangin' salsa, and a Mexican tortilla company for the perfect flour tortillas...thanks goes to all as all I did was put them all together)

So we managed to get packed up, get Hueco into her dog harness/carry all and on the road around 7:30am. We arrived at the local breakfast shop in New Paltz somewhere around 11am. Our good friend and photographer extraordinaire, David Toth and his buddy, Mark, met us shortly there after at the warm up area of Peters Kill Climbing Area. With in 5 minutes Hueco had managed to find a pile of poo and decided she would be better off with it smeared on her face...needless to say we were all checking our shoes until we noticed that it wasn't us...it was a smelly gross dog. Dann reluctantly took her back to the park office and got her cleaned up but we all still kept our distance.

We got on a lot of cool problems and had a really awesome day despite our lack of sleep from a party the night before. Dann did a really great job that day on his photography as he did eventually get his hands on the camera...I had some projects to work on so that gave him time to learn. I was not all that happy with my photographic effort for the day so I decided to convert my photos to black and white and give them higher contrast so let me know what you think on my decision to do this. I am also having fun with my trial version of Adobe Lightroom 2 and I recommend it to every photographer for editing your photos. (Thanks Dave for the recommendation!)

Thanks for your viewing....i finally figured out some gadgets to add to this site....see if you can subscribe to the blog...

DZ Photography

David Toth exhibiting his long reach on the highball, My Family Has No Bread - V5

Aimee warming up on Tree Bola Direct-Direct V1

Hueco looking happy after her roll in the poo (right side of face)

after Dann noticed the poo on her face and the terrible smell emanating from the grossness

anything you can do Dave I can too...even though I don't have your reach
(My Family Has No Bread - V5)

oh yeah...watch this
(My Family Has No Bread - V5)

Dann heel and toe hookin on Mentos - V4


Aimee on the sequence of Sister Put Your Shoes On - V2
Simply loving on the boulder


Dave having a go at it

Dann showing off his karate moves

"the holds look big and it looks easy" - famous last words...
Humsa - V10 insane

Dann says yes to pulling but his skin is screaming NOOOO!
Humsa - V10

Sequence of Dann on beginning of Village Idiot - v7

a humongous beehive off in the distant trees

As you head to the boulders after passing town there is a big field on your left with rows of huge SunFlowers. Some of these are bigger than MY HEAD!

DV Photography

Aimee working Mentos - V4

Beautiful leaves

As far as I can get on Mentos - V4....it is my project...thanks for the power spot Aimee :)

Trail markings

5.10 Galileo's - getting the job done out on the rocks

Another trail marking

Aimee pinching Seven Sugars - V2

Aimee find the top of Dogs of War - V2

Aimee as she slides by Dann to search for the down climb

Dave on Dogs of War - V2
all smiles...(was this when we all realized you could send this with your feet still on the start?)

Me...eyeing up my target on Dogs of War - V2
Me...visualizing the send after this one last big move

Sister I put my shoes on...but my arms were too tired...
Sister Put Your Shoes On - V2
Such a beautiful line...
(Sister Put Your Shoes On - V2)

Dann sneaking a shot of Aimee on Loner Boner - V3
Aimee made this cross look really easy...its not
(Loner Boner - V3)
Aimee finding daylight at the top of Loner Boner - V3
This is the suppose to be the cross move...shorty can't do it that way
(Loner Boner - V3)
Same problem, different angle...still didn't quite hit the move...appreciate the power spot Aimee...until next time
(Loner Boner - V3)

Aimee on top of Loner Boner - V3 - wondering if her hands will forgive her tomorrow for all the torture that was Loner Boner
Last send of the day...smiling because she knows very soon she will be indulging in what is the magnificence of the Taco Shack.
A great advertisement for Prana chalk bags
One tired pup...she even had her pack carried for her most of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!
    loved them all, first problem is the classic, no bread is just left of that.

    your right my smile was because i went from start to top in one move and the crowd reaction :)

    ReplyDelete