Friday, January 16, 2009

An order from Mock Rocks Climbing Holds!

I have been shaping climbing holds for a company in the UK called Mock Rocks. The main guy, Ben, ran across my website one day searching for a good quality foam to make prototype holds. He contacted me and asked if i would design climbing holds for his company. I used to shape holds out of floral foam...a good start but the texture is not ideal when cast in polyurethane as Ben found out with my first batch. I was directed toward a business that sells foam for use in the taxidermy business and found the results much better. I finished with the latest set of 30 holds right over New Years since I had some spare time in between demolition of the basement.

Here are some samples of the work...don't recommend trying this at home unless you have good eye and lung protection...

I have also implemented a cool way to show the scale of the holds...overlay a ghost of my hand...won't take credit...saw it on another rock climbing holds site...sorry to that site as i would give credit but i forgot which one it was.

set of 10 out of 30...very detail oriented

here are the rest...too big to take one photo...hence the patchwork

Most all of them have a jug hold slot...just hidden a little but they also have a pinchy or slopey side if flipped over, making them all very versatile holds.

So the full process is:
1. Carving a prototype...my job for now

2. Making a mold (box up holds and pouring a mold material (silicone) over to create a negative)...hopefully will get to do soon on my own

3. Casting into resin form (dig out that foam...clean mold and pour!)...want to complete this process on my own to start making holds for The Delaware Rock Gym where i then get to set a route or problem using my holds......thus getting to be the ultimate rock climbing artist (of course i didn't get to build the walls....hmmmm.....)

7 comments:

  1. You should try using Smooth-On materials to make your molds & castings.
    Check out www.smooth-on.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the suggestion...we have tried Smooth-on...no good but thanks anyways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for information!
    What`s the "taxidermian foam" that you had used for modelling? Styrofoam?

    Anton

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cutters you had used, if this is not your secret :)

    Anton

    ReplyDelete
  5. taxidermist foam i used was from Van Dykes Taxidermy and what i use to get the initial shape is a knife. clay tools help as well...i suggest looking all over for things that will create texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shapes!! I have a question about the taxidermy foam. From what I can gather you mix up the foam and make blocks from it?

    I use the dry floral foam now but am looking for a bigger block.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete